Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Aussie pedals globe for Environment

ANKIT ADHIKARI
KATHMANDU, AUG 26

In a bid to tell the world how important our environment is, this man has chosen to be a wanderer for eight long years.

Meet Chris Roach, an Australian who aims to cycle across 100,000 km of the globe to raise awareness about environment among different races in the world.
 
Nepal is the eighth country he is visiting while he wishes to cycle through around 42 more countries. He came to Nepal a week ago after cycling through Tibet. Roach is planning to visit Pokhara during his two-week stay in Nepal, India being his next destination.
 
The 28-year-old environment activist says cycling is synonymous with meditation for him. “My passion for adventure is the main factor that has motivated me to cycle,” he says. “I have not really planned what I am going to do after I return home. Let’s see what sort of human this expedition brings out of myself.”
 
His tour so far to Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, China and Tibet was a “solace” to him. He also had some “bitter experiences” when he had to endure some minor accidents. “Luckily I have not experienced anything very unpleasant till now. Nevertheless, cycling through China’s hills to Tibet was tough.” 
 
“I am ready to face and tackle the challenges that are likely to come my way,” he added. 
 
The journey, according to him, is not just about personal fun.
 
“This expedition is also about raising funds for an Australian human rights organisation called Oxfam international. I am earning one Australian dollar per kilometre.”
 
Having to pay and struggle for visas for some countries, Roach sometimes wonders how the world would have been had there not been anything like national boundaries.
 
Talking about Nepal, Roach said Nepalis are the most cooperative people he ever met. “The people here are so cooperative and the traffic jam here has really amazed me,” he giggled. “Traffic jam has taught me many cycling skills but it’s really amazing to see the cows causing traffic jams.”

Published in The Kathmandu Post -- August 27

No comments:

Post a Comment