Monday, September 13, 2010

A cyclist's bid for peace

ANKIT ADHIKARI 
KATHMANDU, AUG 03 

 It’s a dedication to peace and harmony. A homeless South Korean cyclist is set to complete a round-the-world cycle tour propagating the message of peace.

Nepal is the 190th country Okhwan Yoon has visited and he wishes to cycle through a couple of more countries. He came to Nepal after cycling across India.

The 49-year-old peace activist said cycling is synonymous with meditation for him. “My passion for peace took me across the globe,” he said. “When I return to Korea, I will write a book based on the conflict of peace and war going on in the world.”

His cycle tour in the US, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East was a “solace” to him. He also faced some bitter experiences when he had to endure minor to major attacks and accidents.

Sharing the struggle he faced during the journey, Yoon said, “I was kidnapped several times in South Sudan by rebel soldiers. The people there are very aggressive.”

The journey, according to him, has taught him about humanity and diverse cultures across the world. “I feel I have become more generous. Today, I feel like sharing my food whenever I see someone suffering,” he said.

Yoon said Bhutan is his next destination. However, he has been facing problems related to visa. “I am expecting cooperation from Nepal as well as the Bhutanese government. They should understand that I am not the one who does harm to any country. I just want to spread the message of peace.”

About the Nepali people, Yoon said, “The people in Kathmandu are good, but most people outside the Valley are shy.”

Published in The Kathmandu Post -- August 4

No comments:

Post a Comment